What is a TurboTax Service Code? Can I Get a Discount in 2023?
A TurboTax service code is a unique code provided by TurboTax specialists and affiliates that applies a discount to the TurboTax Online fee. TurboTax service codes are provided by TurboTax specialists and affiliates for specific, predetermined reasons. These codes are not considered coupons. Service codes are valid for the specified tax year and can be used only once. TurboTax Online tax returns can’t accept more than one service code.
A TurboTax service code is a 7-digit alpha-numeric code. It is issued directly to customers by a TurboTax customer support agent over the phone for special circumstances. The code might be offered as a specific discount, credit, or -refund. Service codes are non-transferable and will expire after the first use. If the code is unused, it will expire before the beginning of the following tax year. However, Intuit customer service issues TurboTax service codes to less than 1% of its customers. But, the good news is there are still a number of ways to get a discount on TurboTax in 2023.
Do You Really Need a TurboTax Service Code?
To get the best deal on TurboTax you often don’t need to enter a code.
- Choose carefully – Compare TurboTax editions to decide which features you really need.
- File early – Before February 21st is best for lower pricing and savings of $10-25.
- Buy online – Choose to buy an Online edition instead of downloading or buying software in-store.
TurboTax Service Code Vs. Group Discounts in 2023
There are other ways to get a TurboTax discount in 2023. For example, the company has a number of partners that promote discounts to group members. Getting the discount simply requires logging in to your account on a participating website or app. Then, simply navigate to the respective promotion.
TurboTax – Popular Affiliate Discount Partners in 2023
- Students and those in the low tax brackets may qualify for significant education tax credits and deductions. College students with simple tax requirements can file for free with TurboTax. TurboTax does not advertise a distinctly different product for students. However, qualifying filers can also get a $1000+ refund from education deductions and tax credits. For example, the American Opportunity tax credit (AOTC) and lifetime learning tax credit.
- Military Discount – If you are an active member of the Army, armed services, or USAA, be sure to check out the available offers and discounts. Often, enlisted active duty military and reservists can file federal and state taxes free with the TurboTax Military discount. However, this offer is not valid for officers and excludes TurboTax Live products. If you’re a USAA member, enlisted members can use TurboTax Online and file taxes for free. All USAA members can save up to $20 when filing their federal tax returns with TurboTax. USAA is open to the military and their eligible families, so that means not everyone is eligible to join. Visit the USAA website to learn more.
- Costco Membership: Are you a Costco member? If so, you can get a great price on Desktop Editions in-store, especially early in the tax season. Usually, Costco offers the lowest price on just about everything. As a result, their discount price on TurboTax usually rivals or beats the online price. In-store purchase includes a $10 Credit In-Product.
- Group Membership: Members of certain groups may also have access to a special discount for TurboTax Online. This can include AAA members, AARP members, teachers, federal employees, Navy Federal Credit Union members, and Uber drivers.
TurboTax Service Code Vs. Affiliate Partner Discounts in 2023
Affiliate partner discounts are available with TurboTax. First, start on the affiliate partner’s website. For example, your bank, credit union, insurance company, or another affiliate like Uber or Lyft. Next, select the TurboTax link from the partner’s website to access their TurboTax affiliate link. Even if you need to make a small change to a tax return you already filed, be sure to start from the affiliate partner’s website. Then, select the TurboTax link. By doing this, the system recognizes the affiliate partner and then applies your discount. However, do not start directly at TurboTax.com. If you start there, you will not be given an affiliate discount.
What is a Turbo Tax License Code?
A TurboTax license code is a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). This code verifies TurboTax software and allows you to finish installing and begin using TurboTax. Here’s where to find the license code:
Turbo Tax Download
- TurboTax software that is downloaded directly from an authorized retailer – Your license code should be included in your order confirmation. Check your email or your order history. If it’s not there, you’ll need to contact the retailer directly.
- If you downloaded TurboTax directly from TurboTax.com – You should find your license code on your order confirmation screen and in your email confirmation.
Turbo Tax CD
- Authorized dealer – If you obtained the TurboTax CD from an authorized retailer, your license code is printed on the front of the insert in your box.
- Direct from TurboTax – If you obtained the TurboTax CD directly from TurboTax.com, your license code is printed on the packing slip.
- TurboTax Advantage – If you obtained the TurboTax CD through TurboTax Advantage, your license code is printed on the envelope.
Up Next: IRS Tax Code 7702 Insurance Plans
Tax Code 7702 is a part of the IRS tax code that explains how cash-value life insurance policies can keep their tax-advantaged status. Section 7702 life insurance plans refer to tax-advantaged life insurance policies named after that specific section of the IRS tax code. Tax code 7702 explains how cash-value life insurance policies retain their tax-advantaged status. A 7702 plan is not a type of life insurance policy, such as a term or whole life policy. To preserve tax-advantaged status, policyholders need to fully understand the type of policy they are choosing. Also, how premiums will be handled before signing a life insurance contract. This includes any potential tax benefits from the policy’s cash accumulation. Understanding IRS tax code 7702 will help to better understand a policy’s tax-advantage status and the impact on a cash value account.